January 16, 2011

Self Portrait in Yarn



I spun this yarn a few months ago after I got my new Lendrum Spinning wheel.  One of the most exciting parts of the wheel is the huge flyer & bobbin that allows large, chunky yarns to be spun with less difficulty.  As most makers probably do, I have a large collection of scraps; bits of fabric, yarn, fiber, that I just can't throw away because I know I'll find a use for them someday.

I took that collection and started spinning it into this yarn.  Bits of old clothing & fabric, some of my first handspun yarns (that weren't the prettiest or that well spun), left over yarns from projects, lace, ribbon all got spun into the vortex to make this yarn.

I think of it as a sort of self portrait in yarn- now the question is what should I make with it?  I was thinking some sort of vessel, but nothing has caught my attention yet.  For now, I'll just leave it as yarn.

I'm hoping to spin up some more of these yarns for the shop too, and possibly even offering a service for people who want to give me their 'scraps' to spin up into yarn. 

3 comments:

PrairiePeasant said...

What fun! I think a bowl or shallow dish would look really good with this eccentric mix. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

It looks really neat. I love the variety in there. But, I find this yarn a serious challenge to knit! I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually decide.

Ashley said...

The trick to knitting or crocheting novelty yarns is BIG NEEDLES/HOOKS!!