July 29, 2009

Eco tip: Vacuum with Lavender!

Having just gotten back from a very refreshing holiday on the west coast, I am once again wishing I lived in such a place that grew so lush! I saw tons and tons of lavender growing, I loooove the smell so much and so I started thinking about how I could use it more often as a natural air freshener. I started by picking a few of the flowers and I just kept them in my car during our trip. Since it was so hot, the car would often be filled with the aroma.

Then I was cleaning house when I got back (cats made a bit of a mess!) and while I was vacuuming, I thought why don't I suck some up into the vacuum? I remember when I was younger we had once bought this stuff that was synthetically scented that you sucked into the vacuum (thinking back now, I think it was vermiculite! eeew.) Anyway, My friend Mandi had given me a bag of lavender a while back that she had originally used for baking these wonderful lavender shortbread cookies. So the vacuum sucked a little up (a palm sized amount) and immediately I could smell the aroma. Definitely better than smelling dust!

1 comment:

SunShine said...

I'm trying that today!