March 25, 2009

Warning: may contain green content

I have to warn you that as the seasons change, I'm gonna be going on and on about gardening and food. Its true, in the winter I spend a lot of time inside with my baskets and baskets of fiber. But when the seasons change, I'm usually outside gardening, eating, cooking, or just hanging out with a book, my sweetie, and cats. So my blog and artistic practice will reflect that. You may have noticed some funky new buttons on the side of the page there- including a new topic that I've never blogged about before, food activism. Along with craftivism, this is something I'm very passionate about. More to come soon.
We're already preparing for our garden, the tomatoes are started (though I can't say I'm too happy about the ones I ordered from Salt Spring seeds- hardly any of them popped up), but the Mr. Stripey tomato seeds I bought at the gardening store are all happily growing a little bit each day:

Apparently they will look something like this when they are ready to eat:
And, I'm looking forward to the chives, one of the first things to pop up in my herb garden. Here's a shot right before the flowers popped open last year (and did you know- the flowers are edible too?):

Speaking of onions, here's a little experiment I tried last year. I planted a kitchen onion that had started to grow sprouts. This is what it ended up as:

It was great, I could take fresh cuttings of the green bits for salads and stir frys!
Anyhoo, I am getting a little ahead of myself here, seeing as there is still tons of snow on the ground (and it's March 25th). We can't even open our shed door to get garden tools because it's frozen shut! What a long winter it has been! But I can't wait for the (late) arrival of spring. All I can do for now is continue to be inspired by the thought of spring!

No comments: