March 20, 2009

The many uses of Acetic Acid

I've been cleaning with acetic acid, commonly known as vinegar for years; its cheap, non-toxic, and does a mighty fine job of getting things clean. I also discovered it's a great dye fix when you are dying wool with food coloring. Before applying the dye, you just soak your yarn/fiber in about 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water for half an hour (or longer) to open up the fibers so they'll soak up the color.


I stumbled on this great site today on all the cleaning uses vinegar has. Who knew you could Clean hardened paint brushes by simmering them in a pot with white distilled vinegar? Or how about Removing wallpaper easily by using a paint roller to wet the surface very thoroughly with a solution of equal parts white distilled vinegar and hot water?


You can check out all the other great uses vinegar has here.



(and I just love this vintage "vinegar essence" image...)

2 comments:

Beth - IndieNorth said...

What an awesome image! Cool find!

Anonymous said...

I love that image too! And yes, vinegar is great. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap for cleaning.