December 15, 2009

New Crochet

I've been itchin to do lots of stitchin' lately.  What with the freezing weather- apparently the only place colder than Edmonton on Sunday night was Siberia! The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.  So what better time to cozy up on the couch and make stuff!

A few new things in the shop, some of them I've had for a while, but just haven't had the daylight to photograph them:




The fingerless gloves are a new idea, they are made with 2 different yarns giving them a two toned effect.  I think they turned out kind of neat and love how I can use up smaller amounts of yarn this way.   

I also dyed & spun some new yarn this weekend, did a bit more experimenting with drum carding, and continued making gifts.  I also found a new obsession: cable knitting.  I finally made a (cabled) hat for myself with some chunky yarn and I am so proud of it!!  I finished it over the course of 2 days and its my new favorite thing to wear!  I am hoping to make a matching cabled neckwarmer too...  I will have to get a picture soon.  I think I like working better with chunky yarn and bigger needles than I do the really tiny stuff (as much as I adore it, my eyes don't seem to appreciate it as much).

I also sent off a couple of hats and a scarf to a fellow team member on the Alberta team who is putting together a care package for a family near Calgary who lost their house to a fire.  I hope we can cheer them up with some handmade goodies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Siberia huh? That's nuts!