October 9, 2009

Yarn Bombs of Love

Last weekend I stumbled upon a great book- Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti by By Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain.  The book is beautifully put together and offers a history of yarn graffiti, as well as how to start your own projects, and patterns for knit graffiti.  I didn't realise how much of a movement was going on with yarn bombing, especially here in Canada.  I've been thinking about trying it for a long time and this book may have just given me that extra inspiration (along with great tutorials) to try it sometime.  Edmonton gets so cold & gray in the winter, I think some urban & natural landmarks/features could use a little cozying up.


The book is published by Arsenal Pulp Press, the same folks who put out Sarah Kramer's Vegan cookbook series, of which I have La Dolce Vegan.  I'm not vegan- I'm vegetarian... but I always try and incorporate vegan recipes into my meals, and I just love it when it happens "by mistake" ie, i didn't even plan it.

Anyhoo, if you get a chance, check these books out they are both rad.

And, the blog is still a work in progress- if you have any comments, please feel free to email me... Is the font too small?  Does something hurt your eyes?  Viewing things on the web seems to change from screen to screen.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who are celebrating!  Perhaps some of us will be indulging in some homegrown beets, the inspiration for my latest yarn:


9 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

It's not exactly yarn bombing, but I often take several knit caps out and leave them over the poles and fire hydrants in the areas heavily populated by the homeless. So until they are picked up by someone who needs them, they are temporarily "art".

Julie B said...

Yarn bombing? What a fascinating idea! I'd love to see your version of it, whenever you get around to trying it...

PrairiePeasant said...

Please take pics if you decide to do any yarn bombing! I think that would be so much fun to be surprised by, especially in an urban landscape.

Ashley said...

Thanks everyone, will be sure to post something when I do! Kittenwith... that's so cool and thoughtful!!

Vanessa Yvonne said...

Have you heard of Knitta Please? if not you should totally check them out. knit graffiti is awesome and addicting. last year I graffitied my campus as part of a project, if I can find the pictures I'll send you a link :o)

Ashley said...

yes knittaplease are mentioned in the yarn bombing book- so awesome & inspiring! Would love to see your pics Vanessa!

Cat said...

Hi!

The idea of yarn bombing intrigues me, but I'm not sure if I could part with one of my babies, erm, projects. The book sounds really interesting, though!

And I think the blog looks really good. I love the greens.

Peace Sweet Peas said...

yarn bombing makes me think of grad school which my cousin is in in Edmonton so I hope she discovers one of your installations.

wazzra said...

WOW, that's awesome! I'm myself a proud activist and a proud crafter, i'll definitly check it out.