November 17, 2008

First Hand-dyed, Handspun

So, I haven't posted for a while, but I've been busy!!!

Apart from my usual full time job, making stuff for my etsy page, and occasional social activism, preserving of garden abundance, and cat cuddling, I've been learning about FIBER!

I went to the Weaver's Guild Open House and was captivated by the spinning wheel. Somehow I managed to acquire two spinning wheels already- though both borrowed. One is an actual antique that isn't very functional, but very beautiful and has signs of age and use. The other is borrowed from a guild member, her first wheel, so I'm not sure if she's going to sell it to me. But I'm learning on it right now and I love it.

I acquired some Romney sheep wool roving, and decided to do an experiment in dyeing and spinning it. I'm pretty damn proud, and here is the finished product (well, not really, I still have to actually crochet something useful out of it)

No comments: