August 9, 2008

Crafty Ladies in Chinatown

I recently visited Vancouver with my partner, Aaron. We had an awesome time- we probably walked 20 or 30km while we were there, sightseeing and exploring.


One of my favorite excursions was our trip to Vancouver's famous Chinatown, one of the largest in North America. We shopped, and bought a few of the unique trinkets the little shops offered. I also got to try bubble tea for the first time- a taro flavoured one, and I have to say, I'm addicted! We had some vegetarian kung-pow "chicken" (veggie chicken made with soy or gluten), and browsed the food shops and all their interesting dried everything (including geckos on a stick).


But one of the highlights was meeting the little old ladies who were busy knitting & crocheting hats and sweaters just off the sidewalk. Despite that none of them spoke english, I still got to have a visit with them, and they were putting hats on my head, one after another, wanting me to buy some. It was so cute. So I had to buy a hat, and here is a picture of me with the woman who made it. I hope it was okay that I asked her to be in the picture, it was out of total respect that I did.


The hat is awesome- its really soft, and is made of some good yarn that just isn't cheap acrylic. I think they were actually unravelling old sweaters (there is a term for this that's right on the tip of my tongue!) and using the yarn to make new things!

No comments: